In modern life, it is not only important to try to keep ourselvesand our family happy and safe but also to think of others. There are lots ofdangers out in there in the world and it really is worth helping other humanbeings avoid fear, hunger and suffering if you can. One of the ways that youcan go about that is by performing charity work.
By volunteering to help out at a charity, by giving up your time to help others less fortunate than yourself, you will get the warm feeling of fulfilment that only this sort of work can bring.
There are many ways to help and many charities that you can work with. Animal lovers could volunteer their time at a local rescue shelter for unwanted or abused pets while there are lots of charities devoted to looking after adults and children in danger. From the Charles Phillips charity ‘Phillips Charitable Organizations’ to others including Greenpeace and WWF, there are many to choose from.
Reasons why charity work is so rewarding
Some may wonder why this sort of work is so popular if they are not being paid to do it; however, in the complicated modern world, more and more of us are looking past financial incentives to do things that actually help others. Charity work is the ideal way to go about this to attain a real sense of fulfilment.
Here are some ways in which it will make you feel good.
- Makes you feel good about yourself – helping other people who are disadvantaged and need assistance is very satisfying. Although there may be times when it is emotional, you will get so much from persevering with charity work. This feel good factor is great for your own self-esteem and helps you feel better about yourself as a person. This naturally then carries over into your daily life and your dealings with others.
- Get to know your local community – if you decide to complete charity work in your own community, it helps you to really engage with it. You will not only see the challenges many people in your area face but be able to help them overcome them. It will also bring you into contact with local residents that you can connect with but might otherwise never have known. The ability to integrate with your local community and to make a positive difference brings great reward.
- Provide some direction and meaning to life – charity work can be as helpful to the people who do it as those they help. Say for example that you have to work in an office job but your real passion is gardening but you do not have one. By helping out at local shelter pruning the trees and bushes or keeping a community garden in check, you get to fill that gap in your life. In that way, charity work can help you gain a sense of meaning and purpose that might otherwise be lacking in your life.
- Great for your career – although it is aimed at helping others, a side-effect of completing charity work is the positive impact it can have on your career. Many employers value a CV that shows you have undertaken charity work because it shows you are a kind and compassionate person with initiative. Charity work can also give you an insight into various potential careers, so you can decide what you might like to do professionally.
- Make new friends – volunteering can be really rewarding for the chance it provides to make new friends. Many people from all walks of life choose to help, so you can make interesting, new friends that you otherwise would not have met. Having a large set of friends and a wide social network is better for your health and provides companions to enjoy life with.
- Potential to travel – some people choose to support global charities that offer the chance to work abroad. That usually involves going directly to the communities that need help in a country and helping to construct buildings or provide facilities. This chance to travel and explore new cultures is very rewarding and something that charity work of this nature offers.
Charity work is a great idea
As you can see from the above, giving up your time to work for a charity is very worthwhile. It brings a whole host of benefits and enables you to make a real change in the world around you. Of course, the best thing is that it also delivers help to the people who most need it in society. However you go about it and whatever cause you support, it is a wise step to take in life.